I love making my own versions of things that I would normally buy from the grocery store. The kids are obsessed with having chicken and salad wraps, In the past I was buying the whole meal tortillas from the store but after looking at the ingredients I know they’re still full of quite a few nasty’s so I decided to play around and make my own so I know exactly what goes in.
This recipe took a bit of trial and error – as all good recipes do. There was some seriously bad looking tortillas in the mix but I am onto a winner now so I had to share the love!
These are packed with extra goodies like chia seeds and flaxseeds and you can really flavour them anyway you like adding extra dried herbs or spices such as oregano, chilli, basil, paprika, cumin or thyme if you like. I’ve kept them very plain and add flavour to the fillings but you can also use these as thin crispy pizza bases or brush some oil on top & bake lightly and use as tortilla chips.
These freeze easily and are great to have stocked up in the freezer as an easy ready to cook tortilla or crispy pizza base.
What you’ll need
1 ½ cups whole meal flour
1 cup plain flour
½ cup chia seeds
¼ cup whole flaxseeds
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2-3 tbsp olive oil
1 cup water
– Mix sifted flours and all other ingredients together in a medium mixing bowl with clean hands, add 2 tbsp olive oil and add the extra tbsp if it feels too dry – you want the mix to form a pliable dough
– Knead dough in a kitchen aid with a dough hook on slow for 5 minutes or with you hands for 5-10 minutes until fully combined and smooth
– Separate the dough into 12 small balls and cover with a tea towel and set aside for 10 minutes
– At this stage if you want to freeze individually wrap each ball in cling film and freeze for future use
– Roll out each ball with a rolling pin into a round tortilla – these don’t rise much at all so roll out to your thickness preference
– In a non stick frying pan on medium to high heat fry each tortilla with no oil individually until they slightly brown before flipping (approx. 30 seconds each side)
– Continue with remainder of the mixture until all tortillas are cooked, serve warm or can be re heated later if needed and enjoy!