I’m always throwing together new salad recipes! This one is an easy mid week meal and bonus, there is always enough for lunch left overs for the next day! I love the fresh citrus flavours and this herb packed quinoa is a must try. I love adding as many herbs as I can to my dishes for flavour. I’ve recently started growing a big herb garden at home and there is nothing better than being able to walk out and pick what ever I like. The only problem is the herbs keeping up with my demand. Haha! I’m always waiting for my mint and basil to grow more! 🙂
Citrus Baked Chicken with Herb Quinoa
Write a review
For the chicken
- 4 chicken thighs or breasts
- 2 oranges
- 1 lemon
- 2 limes
- 3 cloves crushed garlic
- 2 tbsp EVOO
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- Sea salt and cracked pepper
For the quinoa salad
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 cup chickpeas – washed and drained
- Zest of ½ lemon
- 1/3 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1/3 cup chopped mint
- ¼ cup chopped coriander
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp EVOO
- 1/3 cup pepitas
- Sea salt and pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 200ºC.
- Marinate the chicken in the juice of 1 orange, 1 lemon, 1 lime, garlic, EVOO, herbs, salt and pepper, and place in a baking dish.
- Top chicken with sliced extra orange and lime, and bake in the oven for 25 minutes.
- Place quinoa in a medium saucepan with 2 cups of water or stock, bring to boil, then reduce to low heat and cover. Simmer for 15-20 minutes until most of the liquid has been absorbed. Add more water if needed. Fluff with a fork and leave covered to cool.
- Chop herbs for salad and add to salad bowl with cooled quinoa, chickpeas, lemon zest, juice and EVOO.
- Pan fry pepitas with a generous amount of salt and pepper until golden and fragrant.
- Serve chicken with salad and top with toasted pepitas.
Carrotsticks and Cravings http://carrotsticksandcravings.com/