I went to the wet markets yesterday in Little India and stocked up on some yummy fresh produce, fresh Australian rib eye, fresh organic beetroot and spinach and lots of other goodies so last night I decided to put together a Greek spiced rib eye with beetroot & goats cheese salad.
It was delicious and the twins just finished off the left over salad for lunch, they absolutely love beetroot however I now have pink walls!
What you’ll need (for 2 people with left over mash and salad)
2 250g rib eye steaks (we have our steaks quite big as I am iron deficient)
1 tin chickpeas
1 cup spinach leaves
3 small beetroots
1/2 red onion
handful cherry tomatoes
4 basil leaves
3 sweet potatoes
1 tsp chilli flakes
1/4 cup flaxseed oil
1/3 balsamic vinegar
30g goats cheese
For the Greek seasoning
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried maorjim
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp dried mint
1 tsp dried onion
1 tsp dried rosemary
2 clove of garlic
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp olive oil
Salt and pepper
– Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees C
– Add all the Greek seasoning ingredients into a mortar and pestle and crush together, set aside 1 tsp for the dressing
– Rub the remaining seasoning over the rib eye steaks, cover with cling film and refrigerate for 2 hours
– Peel and cut beetroots into quarters, position the 4 quarters to re form a whole beetroot and wrap in al foil, pour 1 tsp of water over the beetroots and close the al foil at the top
– Place wrapped beets on a tray and bake in the oven for 1 hour or until soft
– Peel 3 sweet potatoes and boil in a saucepan until tender, drain and set aside
– To make the salad, chop the cherry tomatoes, red onion, basil leaves and add to a salad bowl.
– Drain and wash chickpeas add to the salad bowl
– Cook the steaks on the BBQ or pan fry (Tom is always in charge of grill duty in our house and cooks our steaks perfectly medium rare)
– In a jar add the 1 tsp of set aside Greek seasoning, flaxseed oil and balsamic vinegar and shake
– Add the cooked beets to the salad along with desired amount of dressing and toss.
– Mash the cooked sweet potato with the chilli flakes
– Serve the steaks on a bed of mash with salad to the side
– Top the salad with goats cheese and enjoy!