Ive been a bit quiet on the recipe entries lately, mainly because life with 3 kids under 3 doesn’t leave much time but this recipe is just too good not to share with everyone.
While all 3 kids are napping right now (its a rare occasion) & Im sitting down to eat this amazing salad for lunch (at 2.30pm yes i know thats not lunch time!) I just had to type up the recipe to share.
I made this by chance the other week and its very quickly become a favourite – the dressing makes it, this dressing is a staple in our house and works perfectly in any veggie, chicken or salmon salads.
What you’ll need (makes enough for 2 people as dinner/lunch or perfect as a side salad for a bbq)
1/2 head of lightly steamed broccoli
3/4 cup of raw shredded purple cabbage
1 handful of spinach
1 handful of kale (or kale chips if you want to add more crunch and bake them first)
1 handful rocket
1/2 raw zucchini stripped with a potato peeler
3 spring onions
1/4 cup raw almonds
1/4 cup raw sunflower seeds
1/4 cup raw pumpkin seeds
Optional salad extras
1/2 cup cooked quinoa
handful cherry tomatoes
For the dressing
1 tbsp fresh coriander
1 tbsp fresh flat leaf parsley
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1 tbsp white wine vinegar
2 tbsp good quality olive oil
1/2 clove crushed garlic
3 tbsp water
Salt and Pepper
– Lightly steam the broccoli and add to a large mixing bowl with kale, spinach and rocket leaves
– Add thinly shredded cabbage and finely chopped spring onions
– Add peeled zucchini strips or spirals – no need to buy a fancy peeler I just peel off and discard the dark green skin then use a potato peeler to peel strips into the salad
– Toss everything together and top with seeds and chopped almonds
– For the dressing, add all the ingredients into your blender and blend until all full combined, you may want to add some extra water if its too thick .
– Mix dressing through the salad and enjoy!