I was originally going to make sweet chilli sauce but as you all know by now we like things very spicy in our house so I made this great hot sauce instead. It still has a sweetness to it but is very spicy.
I had it with my home made dumplings for lunch today and it was amazing, you can also use it in stir fry, dressings or as a marinate or dipping sauce.
This recipe is quite easy to make as a sweet chilli sauce instead of a hot sauce, just use the large red chill rather than the small green and red “padi” chillies as the small ones are the ones with the spice to them.
Chilli is a great “super food” it helps to fight off colds and to boost your metabolism so if you can handle the heat use more padi chillies in this recipe.
What you’ll need
1 red bell pepper
1 large red chilli
2 small red chilli
2 small green chilli
1 small red onion
1 clove garlic
1/2 cup water
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 tbsp honey
– Chop the chillies, red onion and bell pepper finely and add to a saucepan
– Add the crushed garlic, vinegar, honey and water
– Heat over medium heat for 30-45 minutes until everything is soft and aromatic
– Add more water if necessary
– Remove from the heat making sure there is still some water in the saucepan
– Blend in food processor or blender to form a chilli sauce/paste