After making these I guarantee you will never buy store bought crackers again! They are perfect with dips, as crackers with a cheese platter or just as snacks or “chippys” as my twins like to call them.
I was feeling inspired by a good friend of mine after she bought over some of her amazing home baked savory goods the other day, so I have spent my whole morning in the kitchen playing around with these lavosh flat bread/crackers.
I made chia and sesame, Rosemary and sea salt and Parmesan and chilli flavours all using the same base recipe. They are so delicious, preservative free, easy to make and are filled with goodness, the twins ran in from school and devoured mummy’s new “chippy” recipe with some of my famous guacamole & feta tzatziki.
What you’ll need (makes approx 20-30 large strips that can be easily broken or cut into smaller crackers)
1 cup plain flour
1/2 cup wholemeal flour
3 tbsp chia seeds
1 1/2 tbsp sesame seeds
1 tbsp dried oregano
1 tsp salt (I use himalayan pink salt)
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tsp sesame oil
1/2 cup water
Olive oil for brushing
– Pre heat the oven to 170 degrees C and line 2 trays with baking paper
– In a bowl mix together all dry ingredients, flour, wholemeal flour, chia seeds, sesame seeds, oregano and salt
– Mix oils and water together and combine with dry ingredients
– Use your hands to combine the dough and separate into 4 small balls
– On a floured surface with a rolling pin roll out one of the dough balls until it is as thin as possible (the thiner the better)
– Using a sharp knife cut the rolled out dough into desired shapes/pieces I just do 2 inch think long pieces that I can break off into smaller bits after cooked if i want
– Gently place pieces on the baking trays (if they break can roll them out again as its quite thin to move)
– Brush lightly with olive oil and some salt flakes
– Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until crispy and slightly golden, repeat process with remaining dough
– Once cooled store in an air tight container and enjoy!
For chilli and parmesan & Rosemary and sea salt
– Combine all try ingredients but omit the oregano and sesame seeds, combine wet ingredients but omit sesame oil (replace with an extra 1 tsp olive oil)
– Combine all to form the dough then split mixture into 2 bowls
– Add 1 tbsp dried rosemary and an extra tsp sea salt flakes to one bowl – mix, roll out, cut, brush and bake (as above)
– To the other half of the mixture add 2 tsp dried chilli flakes (depending on how hot you like) then roll out, sprinkle with as much grated parmesan as desired, roll lightly again, cut, brush and bake