I have finally started back to running and the gym lately and am feeling amazing for it. I am now running about 30-45kms per week which after 4 years off running (yes 4 years!!!) Is a huge accomplishment for me, Running is like my therapy – Its my child free, zone out time and I love it!
The only problem I have with all this exercising is that I am always feeling hungry! I made this protein topping to try and boost my protein intake – to help muscles repair and also to keep me feeling fuller for longer.
This topping is a great source of good fats and protein with nuts and seeds and can be added to any fruit salad, with yoghurt, on the kids breakfasts, on top of fruit muffins/banana bread or my fav of the moment with mashed banana on toast (don’t knock it till you try it!) or with summer berries for breakfast.
This recipe can keep for 6 weeks plus in an airtight jar but if you’re anything like me it will be gone long before then!
What you’ll need (makes about 2 cups)
3/4 cup of raw almonds
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/3 cup whole flaxseeds
2 tbsp chia seeds
1/4 cup sesame seeds
1/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
– In a food processor or powerful blender add almonds, flaxseeds and sunflower seeds
– Blitz them until roughly chopped (you don’t want it too fine like almond meal but some smaller and larger pieces – I find pulsing the food processor works best)
– To a non stick fry pan with NO oil add blitzed nuts and seeds, chia seeds, sesame seeds and coconut
– Over a medium heat “toast” the nuts and seeds in the fry pan until lightly golden brown and scented
– Once cooled Transfer into air tight jars and use when desired, Enjoy!