With Christmas fast approaching I am starting to put together a collection of my favourite recipes for the holiday season.
Rum balls are one of my all time favourite Christmas treats. This is such an easy no fuss recipe and these are the best rum balls you will ever taste!
The best thing about these rum balls is that they will last for up to 2 weeks in the fridge or you can freeze them for up to a month so you can make them well before you need them and know that they will be moist and rich and delicious for your Christmas event.
I made a batch for a Christmas dinner party I’m hosting this Saturday night but they are so good I doubt they will last until saturday night!
What you’ll need
2 cups of chocolate cake crumbs (I just use bought cheap chocolate cake from the bakery, I bought one chocolate cake and another double chocolate mud cupcake and mixed them)
1/4 cup chopped raisins
1/4 cup Bacardi gold rum or any dark rum
3/4 cup desiccated coconut
1/4 cup condensed milk
Desiccated coconut to cover
– Finely chop raisins and add to a saucepan with 2 tbsp of the rum
– Simmer over low heat for a minute or so until the raisins have soaked up the rum
– Set aside for 5 minutes
– To make cake crumbs add chocolate cake to the food processor or blender or if the cake is really soft crumb with your hands
– In a bowl combine cake crumbs, coconut, condensed milk, remaining rum and raisin mixture
– Using food grade disposable gloves (I do this as I cant stand sticky cake hands!) mash the mixture until fully combined
– Roll out the balls to your desired size I usually do approx 2 tbsp and this makes 12-15 balls
– As rolling the balls dip and coat into the desiccated coconut and place on a flat surface lined with baking paper
– Refrigerate in an air tight container for up to 2 weeks, these also freeze perfectly – Enjoy!