When ever I have an amazing meal in a restaurant I always feel the need to rush home, write it all down and try and re create it.
On a recent trip back to Australia we had the most amazing fish tacos with mango chutney so I thought I’d try and re create them with a salsa instead of a chutney and these turned out better than expected!
These tacos are healthy, fresh and full of flavor. The texture of the snapper and the soft sweet mango and crunch of the cabbage go perfectly together and are always a crowd pleaser.
This is the perfect meal for a hot weekend night with some cold beers or wine and good friends!
What you’ll need (for 4 people)
2 large fillets of snapper
1 large mango
6 small radish
1 corn cob
2 tbsp chopped coriander
2 tbsp chopped flat leaf parsley
6 mint leaves
1 red chilli
¼ red cabbage
½ wombok cabbage
2 tsp olive oil
Salt and pepper
½ cup sour cream
8 soft flour tortillas for soft tacos or crunchy taco shells
1 cup spicy salsa (Store bought is fine to cut time but I made my own by combining tomatoes, red bell pepper, red chilli, green chilli, garlic, spring onions, salt, pepper, lemon and olive oil)
½ cup grated cheese
– Marinate the snapper in the juice of ½ a lemon and some salt and pepper and set aside for later
– Chop mango into cubes, dice radish, cut corn off the cob and mix together
– Add 1 tbsp chopped coriander, 1 tbsp chopped flat leaf parsley, chopped mint leaves and finely chopped chilli with juice of 1 lime and mix together, set aside for later
– Mix sour cream, 1 tbsp chopped coriander, avocado and 1 tbsp lemon juice and blend together until smooth and creamy and set aside
– Shred the 2 types of cabbage as thinly as possible and mix in a bowl with 2 tsp olive oil and salt and pepper and set aside
– To make the salsa add all ingredients to a food processor or blender – adding as much or as little spice as desired
– Heat oil in a fry pan and pan fry snapper for around 4-5 minutes on each side covering with fry pan lid as it cooks
– Serve fish topped with salsa and all fillings separately for people to make their own delicious soft tacos and enjoy!