I’m all about balance with my diet but when it comes to dinner parties I’m all about flavour and taste and don’t believe you can throw a dinner party without serving an impressive dessert.
I made these spiced red wine pears at a recent Christmas party I threw and they were such a huge hit. I have made these a few times for guests and although it isn’t typically a Christmas recipe and it can be eaten all year round it is full of great strong flavours that remind me of Christmas like cinnamon, vanilla and of course what’s a Christmas without red wine!
This would be amazing dessert in cold climates for a white Christmas hot dessert but instead we just pumped the aircon in Singapore and pretended it was cold while eating them! It’s a really easy recipe and the best part is you can prepare it all the morning of your dinner party so all you need to do is put the pears on the stove 30 mins before you want to serve them, these are a must on your dinner party this holiday season.
What you’ll need
5 ripe pears
½ a bottle of red wine
1/3 cup caster sugar
2 star anise
2 cinnamon sticks
1 vanilla bean pod
Peel of 1 orange
Mascarpone for serving
– Peel the pears, leaving the stems
– In a wide and deep saucepan mix together the wine, sugar, star anise, cinnamon sticks, vanilla bean split with a knife down the middle and orange peel
– Place pears into the mix, cover and turn on the heat to medium
– Turn the pears every half hour so that every side gets the red colour and cook on medium-low for 2-3 hours
– Turn the pears back on half an hour before you want to serve until heated through
– Serve with a spoonful of the wine sauce and a dollop of mascarpone and enjoy