This recipe brings back memories of the first trip my husband and I took together soon after we started dating, to Daylesford for a spa and winery weekend all those years ago! We found this amazing cafe that had the best “red eggs” I’d ever tasted, with spicy chorizo, chilli, chickpeas, spinach and baked eggs. I think we went back 2 or 3 times when we were there, they were so good!
Since that memorable breakfast all those years ago, I’ve always made different versions of baked eggs to enjoy on the weekends. I make it in a big pan so it’s great for sharing and have made this version of baked breakfast eggs without spice so the kids love it too, and we add chilli on top. You can add chilli, bacon, chorizo, ham, steamed potato or anything else you can think of to it to mix it up a bit. Make sure you use a pan that has a stainless steel handle so the whole pan can go in the oven. I serve it with my homemade fresh baked sourdough.
- 2 Chorizo or spicy sausages
- 2 cloves of crushed garlic
- 1/3 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp chilli flakes or diced fresh chilli (optional)
- I cup tinned chickpeas, washed and drained
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- Sea salt and cracked pepper
- 10 cherry tomatoes
- 6 basil leaves
- 3 cups chopped baby spinach
- 4 organic eggs
- 50 grams feta cheese
- Sourdough to serve
- Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees C.
- In a large frying pan with stainless steel handles, fry together chopped sausage, crushed garlic, paprika and chilli. Saute until sausage is browned.
- Add chickpeas, tin tomatoes, salt and pepper, and mix.
- Mix through halved cherry tomatoes, chopped baby spinach.
- With a spoon, create 4 small holes in the mixture for the eggs to go into.
- Crack eggs into the holes and sprinkle feta on everything.
- Bake in the oven for 15-18 minutes or until eggs are cooked to your liking.
- Serve hot with torn basil and toasted or fresh sourdough. Enjoy!